It’s a garden tool that seems pretty harmless, but firefighters say it can actually do a lot of damage: the outdoor water hose.
How? As it turns out, water left in outdoor hoses can reach up 140 degrees in hot summer months, and firefighters in Las Vegas want parents to know about the risk before spraying their little ones or hooking the hose up to sprinklers.
Las Vegas FireRescue, a Twitter account for official information from the Las Vegas Fire & Rescue public information officer, shared a heartbreaking photo of a baby in Tuscon, AZ, who was badly burned last year when his mother was filling up a kiddie pool and accidentally sprayed the boy when she turned on the hose. He received second-degree burns on 30 percent of his body, according to local news reports.
“Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals. Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals,” the post advises parents.