Latinos are one of the fastest growing groups within Islam in America. VICE’s Lee Adams travels to Houston Texas, the home of America’s first Islam in Spanish center, to investigate what’s behind this phenomenon and how America’s current political climate might be related. As a former gang leader, Jaime “Mujahid” Fletcher claims that Islam saved his life, inspiring him to found the Islam in Spanish center. He dedicated himself to translating Muslim texts for a Spanish-speaking audience. We spoke to Jaime and other recent Latino Muslim converts to find out why two of America’s most discriminated groups are coming together.
More in CULTURE
- Alphabet’s Wing gets FAA permission to start delivering by drone
- Armin van Buuren and Garibay Release Pop Dance Hit “Phone Down”
- Kygo and Rita Ora Link Up for “Carry On” from Pokémon: Detective Pikachu
- NAZAAR’s The Legacy EP is a Hard-Hitting Dubstep Dream
- Anna Lunoe and Wuki Get Together for “What You Need”