High school senior Kelly Charley is developing a solar heater for the thousands of homes in the Navajo Nation that don’t have access to electricity. Many people, including Kelly’s grandparents, heat their homes with coal, which researchers believe may be a major cause of respiratory illnesses in the Nation. “Why am I letting my grandparents go through this, when I could do something about it?” says Kelly.
More in CULTURE
- Dear Grandparents, Please Don't Offer to Watch Your Grandkids If You Don't Mean It
- Vine reboot Byte begins beta testing
- Here’s how to watch Tesla’s self-driving event today
- Elon Musk says Tesla will allow aggressive Autopilot mode with ‘slight chance of a fender bender’
- Here are Elon Musk’s wildest predictions about Tesla’s self-driving cars